Best Drugstore Brand Shampoos…for men, women, babies and children.
I need shampoo. I don’t have time to make a trip to the “special” organic store nor do I feel like making a special trip just for shampoo. They are closed anyways because they have odd mom n’ pop store hours. So, if I walked into my corner drugstore or the grocery store down the street and had to purchase a shampoo, which one would I choose that had the least amount of chemical toxicity? Not everyone has the time to scan through the thousands of shampoo products on the ewg.org list and who would think to do that anyhow (besides me?) It’s just shampoo for crying out loud! I can barely remember to grab my toddler when heading out the door, let alone my wallet, reusable bags, coupons, and my ewg.org research too!? Forget it!
I’ve done the work for you. Next time you need to stop at the store…here’s some brands whose products are generally safer to choose from. All of the following rank a yellow 4 or lower on ewg.org’s Skin Deep database. It’s sad that I had to scan through 620 products in order to come up with just this measly 21. This means that as little as 3% are considered low or mildly-low on the level of chemical toxicity. There are 3,567 products total on the list of shampoos (some may be old products). Out of 3,567 I only came up with 21 before my eyes got tired of searching. This disgusts me. If your brand isn’t on this list, it means that your brand doesn’t provide necessary information to ewg.org to participate in the Skin Deep database or it is rated at a cautionary yellow 5 or higher. For more information about ewg.org’s Skin Deep data base and how products are rated you can visit http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/users-guide-to-skin-deep/ In short, each product is rated on a scale of 1-10 and given a green, yellow or red rating. You get it…1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest. Green being good to go, red being whoa. Wait. Wake up. Yep. You get it.
1. Burt’s Bees (multiple formulations) Most shampoos are rated green. Available at most drug and/or grocery stores. The only problem that I have with Burt’s Bees is that they are a subsidiary of The Clorox Company. To read how I feel about said bleach company…click here. But then again so is Brita which I love.
2. California Baby (multiple formulations) Most shampoos are rated green. Available at most Target stores.
3. Babyganics (multiple formulations) Most shampoos are rated green. Available at Babies R Us & Buy Buy Baby.
4. Earth’s Best Tots Tangle Taming Shampoo, Fruit Punch – green – 2 Available at Babies R Us & Buy Buy Baby.
5. Neutrogena T/Sal Therapeutic Shampoo, Scalp Build-Up Control – green – 2
6. Seventh Generation Foaming Baby Shampoo & Wash – green – 2
8. Neutrogena Shampoo, Anti-Residue Formula – yellow – 3
13. Finesse Clean & Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Normal Hair – yellow – 3
14. Johnson’s Natural Kids 3-in1 Shampoo, Conditioner & Body Wash – yellow – 3
15. Walgreens Therapeutic T Plus Salicylic Acid Shampoo Maximum – yellow – 3
16 Aussie (multiple formulations) Most shampoos are rated yellow.
17. AXE (multiple formulations) Most shampoos are rated yellow.
19. Dove (multiple formulations) Most shampoos are rated yellow.
20 . Head & Shoulders (multiple formulations) Most shampoos are rated yellow.
21. Herbal Essences (multiple formulations) Most shampoos are rated yellow.
Are there any brands that you are surprised to find on this list? Are there any that you’re surprised that didn’t make the list? I’d love to hear what you think! Comments are welcome below!
Thanks for reading!
-Your Green Guide